Monday, August 1, 2011

Wall Update

A couple months ago I decided it was time to update our front room, the one we hardly spend any time in (ha, ha.)  Unfortunately, I don't have a true before picture because I simply forgot to take one.  I'm not going to stew on that any longer (it kinda bugs me that you can't see what it used to look like) and get straight to the progress I am making with the room.  

This is where the room started once I pulled down a cloth wall hanging.  We repainted the entire room the lighter taupe.  It's a pretty large wall so I thought that adding a second color would help break it up.  Using a level, Mark helped me tape the rectangle.

In order to make sure the items I had planned to put on the wall were centered and arranged correctly I traced them on paper, cut them out, and moved them around until I was happy with the arrangement.

My handy dandy husband made me a frame and I added the things we had around the house.  This is how the wall has been for a couple of months as I've been waiting for ideas/merchandise to come to me....and come to me they did.

Just to refresh your memory, here is the fabric of the curtains we recently hung in the room.

A couple of months ago I spied this beauty at Pier One.  I loved the color and the texture of it.  It never left my mind.  I didn't buy it when I saw it because I didn't know how I would utilize it.

Then, a few days ago while strolling through Michael's I found this one.  I didn't waste any time purchasing it and eventually made my way to Pier 1.  Both wreaths have the exact colors in the curtains.  I envisioned the two wreaths hanging to the left of the framed wall.

Now, with the round mirror and two round wreaths, my husband thought there was just too much "roundess" going on.  My solution was to hang a rectangle frame inside the mirror, but I also wanted some texture.  Here is what I came up with:
 I found this canvas covered frame at a thrift store for a buck.  Perfect!

I painted the front and back of the frame.  The reason I painted the back was because it would show when hung on the mirror.

 To add texture I hot-glued this moss around the frame.

Then I found this beautiful ribbon at Joann's to hang the frame.

This is where the room sits for now.  To balance everything out, something will need to be done to the right side of the frame...someday.  Not sure yet what that will be, but it will come to me.  I desperately hate the couch and want to get something in a dark brown (again...someday.)  Also, I'll soon be on a hunt for some pillows that are colorful and more exciting to the eye.  Oh, and a new lamp as well...someday. 

1 comment:

  1. Visiting from Tip Me Tuesday. The wall looks great! I have a large wall space in my kitchen that I am still trying to decide what to do with.

    Kimberly @The Muddy Princess