Thursday, August 4, 2011

Habitat for Humanity

The other day I was reading a blog entry about revamping a brass chandelier that was purchased at a Habitat for Humanity ReStore.  Out of curiosity, I checked the web to see if we had one in Roseville and we do!  While every ReStore outlet is a little different, most focus on home improvement goods like furniture, home accessories, building materials and appliances.  ReStore resale outlets accept donated goods which are sold to the general public at a fraction of the retail price. The proceeds help local Habitat affiliates fund the construction of Habitat homes within their communities. 

After programming my GPS (the website mentioned the location was a bit tricky to fnd since it's hidden within some other industrial warehouses) I was in my car and excited to see what I might find.  Of course I packed my camera and thought I'd share some of the pictures with you.

Built-in cabinets

All kinds of laminate flooring

Small tiles and mostly white

Have some moulding!

If you aren't picky, what a deal!

Light covers for the bathroom

Sure it's brass, but imagine what it would look like painted black!  It was only $10.00.

Not sure what these are, but they are smooth, light, and would be a breeze to paint @ $4.00 each.

Yes, more brass, but it can be painted!  In fact they posted a yellow piece of paper with directions of how to paint brass


Was thinking we could pull this off above our table on the deck.  I would paint the brass and the chain.  And only $6.00!!

Many toilets, but most missing a cover, a handle, or something else.

Only $2.00 each!  I know I could get crafty with these--cut them down smaller and make candlesticks?

Not wood, but at $5.00 a piece they would look great painted and hung on the sides of a window.

So many doors.  One must be able to create something out of them.

Paint of all kinds and colors.
What I learned from my visit is that you can't be picky and you should probably have an idea of what you need/want.  If you need tiles, make sure you measure and have an amount in mind.  They are lots of stacks of tiles, but some have 6 in a pile and some have 20 in a pile.  Need carpeting for a bedroom?  Make sure you measure and know just how much you need.  There was  a roll of carpet there (6ft. x 20ft.) for $40.00!  I'm sure I'll add this ReStore to my every-now-and-again stops.

1 comment: