Monday, July 1, 2013

Spiced up Spice Rack

Last month I posted a picture of this spice rack I stumbled across in one of my regular thrift stores for $4.50.




The painting possibilities were endless.  I didn't know where to start.  I felt like I would be overwhelmed by color combinations if I went paint shopping at a retail store.  Instead, I went paint "shopping" in my garage cabinets.  I decided on a dark brown, a creamy white, a turquoise spray paint, and a silver acrylic paint.

The entire spice rack is put together with very small nails, even the metal inserts.  It needed a bit of attention, so I took a small hammer and doctored (tightened) it all up.  I removed the yellow, metal inserts.  They didn't need to be nailed back in because they fit so snug in their place.
I started by painting the inside of the rack the creamy white.  It took 2 coats.  Then, I painted the outside brown, two coats again.  While I was waiting for the rack to dry, I spray painted the inserts.  Finally, I brushed some silver paint on the knobs.

All finished!

I don't know where I am going to hang the rack yet, so I opted to take some pictures of it outside on our patio mantel.









2 comments:

  1. Very lovely find! Great job on the makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO cute Emily! I love the touch of blue, it is perfection!

    My readers would love to see how you did this! I’d love it if you linked this up over at Living Well Spending Less for Thrifty Thursday this week! http://www.livingwellspendingless.com/category/thrifty-thursday/

    ReplyDelete