Monday, November 28, 2011

Revamped Candlesticks

A few months ago during one of my Goodwill shopping visits I came across a couple of bowls and a couple of candlesticks.  I envisioned them glued together to make larger candlesticks.  I had the pieces tucked away thinking I would paint them red and use them on my Valentine's mantel, but I just couldn't take it anymore.  I wanted to fix them up and use them on my Christmas mantel.  So that's exactly what I did.

Here is what I started with.  The bowls were 49 cents each and the candlesticks were 99 cents each.




Using some E6000 glue I bonded them together.


So what came next was the big question:  What color was I going to spray paint these beauties?  I really thought about going bright red, (because I could still use them for Valentine's Day) but then I thought I should go a little more neutral so that I could use them even more throughout the year.  As I was perusing the spray paint wall at Home Depot, my eyes were brought up to the top shelf where this paint was sitting:


You can't tell from the picture, but the top of the paint can is pearlized.  Hello, a pearlized spray paint?...It's come so far!  I saw that and I was sold!  Plus, it has a built-in primer so I didn't need to buy a can of that.  The can of paint was about $7.00.

I ended up painting the candlesticks a creme color first because when I started in with the pearl color on the brass, it didn't have a lot of pigment in it...it's almost more of a accent finishing color.  So after a few coats of this and that, they turned out beautifully.  I can't wait to use them year round.




And the mirror...our newest purchase and I am in love with the look of it.  We should have done that a long time ago.  We purchased that at Home Goods for $40.00.

17 comments:

  1. These came out absolutely gorgeous!! I am always sticking things together but I love those candy dishes and would NEVER have thought of this. Great vision!! :-) LOVE them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how these turned out! Thank you so much for sharing on the pearlized Rustoleum paint. I have to get some of that!!! I'm your newest follower! Please check out bellanest.blogspot.com if you get the time. Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful transformation --- thank you for sharing!
    Blessings, Becky
    www.fromgentogen.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow!!!! soooo creative! I love Goodwill :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute! I never find unusual brass candlesticks! What a score! You picked the perfect paint color too. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are great! That paint color is so pretty, I need to find it for my spray paint stockpile. I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's a great transformation.
    thanks for sharing
    http://momdaughterstyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. soooo pretty! I love them!!

    Leanne @ because (i think) i can

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look fantastic in their new color! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a great idea! i love the way they turned out. I am your newest follower :) Come join me at bloggingbypictures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. What gorgeous candle holders you have created, Emily! Love them. I love seeing what people find at thrift stores, etc. Amazing what beautiful things are created while helping with recycling. I have joined your followers list and would love to have you join me as well. Hugs, Gayle
    http://atastefultouch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! They look just beautiful on your mantle:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You were one of our most viewed links last week and I featured you tonight!

    http://kim-toomuchtimeonmyhands.blogspot.com/2011/12/get-schooled-saturday-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow those came out great! I need some of that paint.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was browsing your site, thoroughly enjoying myself...I got to these and thought, "She's going to spray paint those?! It will never work.. It will probably look horrible, why doesn't she just leave them?" (I liked it with just the gold, lol!) Then I saw your creative genius in picking a PEARLIZED spray paint, which I didn't even know they had!! --I HAVE to get out more-- and I am in awe. You just picked up a new follower. Usually, I am a leader. Hee Hee. GREAT SITE! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kara, you are so kind. I'm super glad that you have enjoyed poking around my blog. I'm not quite as active on it as I used to be (when I was working part-time vs. full-time now.) The pearlized paint was fun to work with. I haven't done any other projects with it, but I'd like to. It's such a soft, elegant look. Thanks so much for your compliments...it keeps me going.:)

      Delete